Thursday, May 24, 2007

As One Season Ends Another Begins

I got the idea to write this driving back up to school on Saturday, May 5, and hammered out most of it that evening and over the next week. I was always intrigued by the idea of the ‘epic poem’, and although this is hardly a start, I still toy with the idea of expanding it from five cantos to nineteen, for reasons you may soon figure out.

This ended one period of my life, burying all the turmoil of the three preceding months which began specifically on January 29. Those few months were simultaneously the best and worst of times for me. And within a week after writing this, another period began. Oh happy day.

One other thing. I write continuously, a couple lines here and there when they come to me. A good portion of this was culled from all that material, as a lot of it reflected those times.
-
AUTOBIOGRAPHY

I
It’s been awhile
A long while
I wandered for miles,
Said twenty was plenty
I was wrong
Twas’ one too many

I took a look around
And saw the cycle of sin
So subtle was the sound
Amidst the mirth and the din

On the side of a hill
As time crawled to a stop
I saw life pass by me
As the sun sat still

And then it came to me
As I thought to myself
I had strayed off the map
A stone’s throw, sixty feet
A blind man’s trap
I was soon to meet


II
Fallen so slow
No bottom to the pit
The sky may be the limit
But I was about to hit

Led by the sights and the sounds
I looked but had not found
I searched and researched
To the ends of the earth

Where knowledge had dumbed me
And pleasure had numbed me
Joy no sweeter than pain
Only despair I could see
All across the terrain

I could have had the kingdom
But only the world I’d take
Reserves for some rum
Amidst a firestorm I’d stake
-
III
The sun rose with her
So I set myself afire
Saw the shadow defer
The devil’s grip retire

Sort of seductive in a sadistic way
The kind of coy that’d sour a sucker
Had me chasing the wind all day

Those days and nights
They passed me by
As billows blue glide
I stretched out to dry
And though I’d tried
The best-laid plans
Shattered at the side

Sometime sooner or yet
As the sun begins to set
She rises like a vision
Slips a whispered secret
Too late to begin what wasn’t begun

IV
Clutching sanity so tightly
It bled out my ears
Asleep I wept nightly
With hell went my fears

Every thought wasted
The kiss of death
Longing to be tasted
Shorn short of breath

I crept up to the well
Deep called unto deep
I never could tell
Who this stranger was in me

Beaten down, taken aback
Broken and bloodied
I reached into the sky
Saw myself in the cracks

V
What came as a surprise?
What seemed a mystery?
I found it flied
In the face of history

And so the story draws to an end
From where the wind blows to where it goes
It comes around again and again

Back on the trail
Years to pass, miles travail
Perhaps we’d meet again
Paths cross, fates meet
In the end, in a few feet
But what may come, do pray
No stones divert my way

No comments: